Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Hey y'all,
I've just finished reading my second work by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I took up reading him because the band I'm into at the moment (Protest the Hero), my favorite TV show (LOST) and my girlfriend have all mentioned him and have become inspired by him...
I tried to go in chronological order with reading Dostoevsky, but some of the stuff is really hard to find or expensive once you do find it.
I did read his very first work first, though... It was a book called Poor Folk. This was a great story, mostly told through a series of letters between two people and the end is one of the most beautifully sad things I have ever read. It's most definitely worth checking out...
I went on to Dostoevsky's second work, called The Double. I've gotta say, it was hard to get through about the last fourth of the book, but the end was very weird and entertaining...
I've got an inkling that this book relates to LOST somehow and the mention of Dostoevsky points to it in a very veiled way. It's like you had to do detective work to find the significance of its author's mention in the show... That's right, I'm not discounting the clone theory that a few people have had...
Anyway...
Go out and read some Dostoevsky. I've yet to get to any of his major works, but I truly have great expectations for them...

No comments: