Monday, June 30, 2008

Comic of the Week - June 18th, 2008

Hey guys,
I know the date's still a little behind on my post up there... I'm still trying to get ahead on reading my beloved funny books... These are my picks of the week for the books that I read released on June 18th. They were:

-Amazing Spider-Man #563
-Justice League of America #22
-Superman/Batman #49
-Ultimate X-Men #95
-Wolverine #66

Story of the Week

The best story that I read for this week's worth of books was far and away Wolverine #66. It's the first chapter of the "Old Man Logan" story arc that I think, based on this issue alone, is going to be one of the best stories of the year.
The story follows Wolverine some fifty years into the future. He's old... I mean, we know he was old, but he's visibly old, grey hair and all... He hasn't popped his claws in fifty years, they say in the book.
The Marvel Universe is very different from what we're used to in this book. Wolverine is now an old, horse-ridin' cowboy-type who lives on a farm with his wife and two kids... They seem to be poor and they are worrying about making rent when three green meanies called "the Hulk Gang" show up. They seem to be in charge... of everything...
This isn't the only thing that has changed. Various other changes plague the landscape that our hero (fifty years in the future) calls his home... Some interesting versions of some interesting characters show up and the story is one of those "this is so messed up, BUT IT'S SO GOOD!" moments... Those kinds of moments that are reminiscent of Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight, The Chaos storyline in Avengers or issue #48 of The Walking Dead...
Mark Millar (one of my favorites and writer of the comic that just got made into a stellar film: WANTED) has crafted the genesis to what promises to be an amazing read. It holds special significance for those who have known and loved Wolverine for years (like myself).
I don't know why they chose to go this route with the actual title of Wolverine rather than make this its own limited series, but I'm glad they did...

Cover of the Week

The cover of the week trophy goes to Justice League of America #22. It's an amzing piece by Ed Benes and Alex Sinclair. Just feast your eyes below...



Interior art of the Week
My brother and I have both gone nuts over Steve McNiven for a while now. He did amazing on Civil War and some other things... His art in Wolverine #66 (with a helping hand from Dexter Vines and Morry Hollowell) is truly a "Marvel" to behold... Posted below are some samples...





Well, there's another "Comic of the Week" feature in the books... Like I said, this feature will evolve (someday) to give a lowdown on ALL the books I've read for any given week and not just the best... The ones that aren't my favorites, per se, are still pretty damn impressive...
I'm always looking to try more and different books so if anyone has any they'd like to suggest, or if you wanna say the ones that I read suck or if you wanna just rap comics... ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK ON THIS SUBJECT IS WELCOME!!!
That's another one down and I wish you all peace as always...

No comments: