Saturday, June 28, 2008

WANTED: A Sword...

Hey y'all,
I went to the movies tonight for the first time in a long time and I think it was a good decision...
I went to see Wanted, a film that (I don't think many people know) was adapted for the big screen from a comic book.
I've gotta admit, after reading the comic, which was the best series that I've read in years, the movie viewed a little more like Wanted: Lite. The original premise from the comics was that Wesley Gibson, a working stiff like the rest of us, was brought to live a life of confidence and super bad-assdom by taking up the mantle of his father. Unlike the film, though, Wesley's father was known as the Killer: "the scariest super-fuck who ever walked the earth". He was a super-villain that killed mercilessly and fought for world domination. Upon his death, Wesley was approached by a clan of super villains to take the Killer's place and was given all the money and power that his wretched, villainous father had amassed...
But... Hollywood always has to go all Hollywood, though, and in the film, Wesley was trained to be a member of an assassin's guild called the Fraternity, who fought for goodness by taking out baddies who were threatening to normal people's way of life...
Don't get me wrong, though... The movie was extremely well done and enjoyable, with lots of high-action shots and effects reminiscent of films like Fight Club and The Matrix.
This also wasn't just your run-of-the-mill action flick, either... There were some really substantial and well thought out plot points, smacking of the comic that it was based on...
If you're into comics or just want to see a good film, go check out Wanted...

Also, briefly... My comic of the week for May 28th (yeah, I know, I'm still behind...) is The Sword #8.
The Sword is a great story that I've raved about to many people. Issue #8 promises to be the beginning of a very exciting turn of events...
Just take my word for it for once and go check out The Sword, first trade coming soon...
Heck... Maybe we'll be viewing a movie based on The Sword someday... That would be awesome...

No comments: