Saturday, July 26, 2008

Studies of the Clown Prince, Part Seven

Hey guys,

And here... we... GO!

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

We've come to that point in our studies of the Clown Prince...

The Dark Knight.

I loved this movie so much that the only thing I'm going to do or say in the way of spoilers is put a couple of clips at the bottom of this post. If you've had any interest in the film or have seen it, these won't really be spoilers for you and you've probably already seen them...

Again, what can I say?

I will say that I started to become afraid when I heard all of the hype about Heath Ledger as the Joker. People talking Oscars for the performance already, teenage girls touting the Joker as their favorite character, and Heath Ledger's death prior to the role really scared me. I thought, "Can this role and bit of acting really be THAT good?"

The simple answer:

YES.

For once, all the hype is true. If you're into movies at all, if you're just a comic book geek, if you're a chick that thinks Heath Ledger is the hottest thing ever to walk planet Earth, if you're Mr. Ledger's father giving the thumbs up as he walks from watching his dead son's performance, if you're Jack Nicholson's #1 fan... Any of that... If you don't think the Heath Ledger's performance of the Joker is amazing, I doubt you have a pulse...

Heath Ledger has immortalized himself and the Joker on the silver screen for eras to come...

Our look at the evolution of the Joker has come full circle and then some. From the Joker being a cold blooded killer in the 1940s to him having to be tamed in the 1950s to The Dark Knight Returns to The Killing Joke and beyond, Heath Ledger, Christopher Nolan and The Dark Knight have made the Joker complete...

You've GOT to see some of this for yourself (if you haven't already), so I'm gonna post a couple YouTube clips right below here. If you haven't seen the flick and don't want absolutely ANYTHING spoiled, don't watch... However, these clips aren't plot-breakers or anything and are really just examples of a couple of my favorite moments from the film... Check 'em out...





Amazing...

Just one more thought... You know, if no one ever told you who the actor was and the Joker was never shown without the make-up, would you be able to tell who the actor was? That's how great Heath Ledger's performance was...

Well, there it is: Some of my thoughts on The Dark Knight... The Studies of the Clown Prince aren't over, though... (Well, maybe just the first round of them are...) I hope to read more comics and take in more media in the coming weeks and keep this thing going... Hope you guys have enjoyed it and will enjoy it as much as I am...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

3 comments:

Missy said...

My favorite scene is the magic trick! Its worth the price of admission alone. He will be nominated, ratings would go through the roof.

Anonymous said...

Excellent point: would you know Heath if, somehow, you managed to miss all of the hype and just saw the movie?

lloydduvalljr said...

Exactly!

I think that's the main thing that tells us how great Heath Ledger's Joker really was!!!