Monday, July 7, 2008

A look back at the weekend and some thanks to pass out... That's right, a whole big, f@#%-ing bag of thanks...

Hey guys,
Having just had three days off and having my better half asleep or at work most of the time, I took in some things this weekend.

MOVIES:
-The Cable Guy (a comedy classic)
-The Last Kiss (see prior entries)

COMICS:
-The Invisibles (see prior entries)

LITERATURE:
-Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz (The first of Koontz's works I've ever finished. Not bad...)

Anyway, that's just a brief recap of what I read or watched this weekend. Nothing lengthy...

More importantly, I'd like to thank all those who've been posting comments to my posts. It really makes me feel good. I've tried to return in kind.
Let's keep reading each other's blogs and continuing THE GRAND DISCUSSION!!!
Really guys, I've had a lot of fun with this already...

Peace...

3 comments:

Lori Beth said...

So you read "Odd Thomas". I have never read a Koontz book, but Jeff used to read and just recently picked up and finished one of his books. We both looked at this book in the store the other day and wondered if it was A.) new and B.) was it any good?

Anonymous said...

A little Koontz, eh? What'd you think - give us a little literary analysis. I'm curious to compare my thoughts on Koontz to someone's else's...

lloydduvalljr said...

Hey Jeff,
Don't know how literary this will be... but an analysis nonetheless...
I thought Odd Thomas was okay... The comments all over the back and such said that it was Koontz at his finest... I really enjoyed the character of Odd Thomas (a short order cook who communes with the dead) and I really think that that was the key to being able to enjoy this one...
Koontz left almost every chapter with a little cliffhanger, which in some ways made this one an easier read, but in some ways got old and re-used after a while...
All-in-all, I guess I'd recommend this book if you like Koontz at all... I know you had read a lot of Koontz before, so you must have liked him a little... But I think I recall you calling him a hack recently...
I'll have to read some more of his work (which I'm currently doing with "Forever Odd", and I need to read the one you lent me: "The Taking") before I can really form an opinion of him as a writer...
FINAL VERDICT: Odd Thomas was a good solid read, but will not take its place as a favorite of mine...
What do you think about Koontz?