Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Audio of Excellence

Hey guys,

What can I say?

I'm tired, I don't wanna go to sleep, I'm bored, I'm back on the blog, I feel like doing more and right now, I'm obsessed with listening to Matthew Good...

Here we go...

First, let me say that if you haven't read some of my prior posts on Matthew Good, you might do well to go back and read them... I've got interview footage, reviews of prior albums (chronologically), live stuff and all kinds of goodies... One thing I regret not doing is going really in-depth with the first couple of Matthew Good Band albums as I have with Beautiful Midnight in the prior two posts and as I'm about to do with the Audio of Being...

This album, as albums by my favorite artists tend to do (or not do) did not grab me right away... This was the final album from the Matthew Good Band and was said to be very stressful on all of them... Matt himself is said to have been ill through the recording of it and Dave Genn (one of the guitarists in the band) compared the making of the album to "taking a long, painful shit"...

Despite that, going back and listening to this one a few times, I've really grown to love it as with all the other Matthew Good stuff I've listened to...

The album only produced two music videos (for the songs "Carmelina" and "Anti-Pop") and I'm going to include those below... Those will be the only two "official" music videos from this bunch...

After doing all the work on posting about Beautiful Midnight, I decided to try and locate some YouTube clips for other songs on this disc, as well... I wanted to more represent the whole album to you readers of the Llog and highlight some of the songs that I actually like better than the ones which had music videos made for them...

So anyway, here they are... Titles of the songs are posted ABOVE the videos... (Are you frequent readers tired of hearing that yet? Ah well, I just wanna make sure you know the correct names of the damn songs... Live with it... Haha!)



Man of Action





Carmelina





Tripoli





Advertising on Police Cars





I, the Throw Away





The Fall of Man





Under the Influence





The Rat Who Would Be King





Anti-Pop





Sort of a Protest Song





Well, again... There they are... That's not every song on the album, but it's a pretty good taste (I'm only missing two tunes from the disc)...

I really love the videos that they've done for some of these tunes, from this and other albums... The video for "Anti-Pop" looks like a chaotic, juvenile romp of a Travelocity ad... Even if you're not digging all of this Matthew Good stuff, you should still be able to find that enjoyable... The same goes for the video for "The Future is X-Rated" from Beautiful Midnight. In that one, Matt's ranting on like Sally Struthers in a kind of spoof ad for helping vain people... Awesome...

And as far as liking the songs... Well, some of these tunes really speak to me... The clip of "Tripoli" ripped my heart out when I saw it. It's just a great, sad, brooding song... And the clip's so personal... Right up there with Matt as he pours out his soul in the song... Ah well, here's your cue to make fun of me...

Well, I think that's all the Matt Good stuff I'd like to rant on for now... I am listening to his first solo album right now, though, so I'll probably give you the lowdown on that one at some point...

As I said, too, I'm really regretting not going as in-depth with the first two albums... I'm thinking of putting posts up on those that are more like these recent ones with more songs and stuff... If you're digging the Matt Good stuff (or already do), that'll be a treat for you... If you're not, just wait a couple of weeks and I'll be obsessed with something else...

Peace...

No comments: