Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Takin' it for "Grant"-ed

Hey guys,

I can't help but to keep going back to works by a fellow named Grant Morrison...

Some of you will remember me raving on about what might be my favorite work of his, The Invisibles, in a prior post... Well, I've finally done it... I've done one of the things that I wasn't smart enough to jump onto in the first place. I've read Mr. Morrison's first trade's worth of Batman issues that he did.

Pretty good...

This post might lead the way back to an old series of postings on this blog entitled "Studies of the Clown Prince"... In Grant's first book of Batman stories, there's an amazing Joker-themed piece that has some of the weirdest artwork I've ever seen and the story behind that magnificence is written in all prose... It was truly an experience and one that I won't forget soon...

I've also read the whole All-Star Superman series, which just finished up, by Morrison recently... This is a timeless gem bringing us right up close to the hero we all love... His humanity, his weakness, and his magnificence are all in the spotlight in this one and it, too, is a great story...

Perhaps the easiest "one-read" story by Morrison that I've gone back and read recently was the JLA trade New World Order... It is only the brilliance of a writer like Morrison that can keep us up nights pondering the multiverse with some of his work and then wow us just as much (even if entirely on a different level) with a superhero book... The reason I call the JLA book a one-read book is because usually there are layers to the stories that Grant writes. These tales, I think, are meant to be read over, pondered, dissected and then read all over again... JLA had a straight-forward cohesiveness that hit us with another facet of genius from Morrison, proving his deftness at crafting all kinds of story...

Below (as I am proned to do) I'm going to include some video of the man himself... Watch and be perplexed... Don't forget to enjoy...



*-Notice in this first video (at around 2:20) where someone asks a question of Grant and the answer he gives, talking about heroes being real and a part of their own dimension... This blew me away and started some thought processes in my head that I hope will lead to great writing on my part...





*-Wanna see some stuff on Grant talking about a new web-based animation story that he's doing plus plans for the future? See below!





*-Curious about this guy's influences? The WE3 movie? See below...



Sorry about the slow load on the above vid... If you didn't wanna wait he cites influences of:
-Peter Shaffer
-David Sherwin
-Alan Garner
-J.R.R. Tolkien
-Robert Anton Wilson
-Timothy Leary
-Aleister Crowley
-The Beatles
-The Buzzcocks
-The Sex Pistols




Well, that's my rave for now... My advice, check out some of Grant Morrison's work soon. A piece of your life is missing until you do...

Peace...

No comments: