Saturday, September 5, 2009

Never Heard a Man [Play] Like This Man Before, Watch [Him] Now...

Hey guys,

Geeking out over The Mars Volta the past few days has brought me to really take a look at their current drummer Thomas Pridgen.

If you all didn't know I'm a (now occasional, for the most part) drummer. But I think that even if you've never touched a drum in your life, this guy can really knock your socks off. In seeing some of the videos that I'm about to show below, I've really been blown away. Though I was a little disheartened when I learned that (also sensational drummer) Jon Theodore was no longer in The Mars Volta, Thomas Pridgen really has something to offer all us drummers and music-o-philes...

Take a look...



A little intro to Thomas Pridgen





Modern Drummer Festival 2008 Footage (w/interviews)





"Wax Simulacra" (Won the Grammy for Best Hard Rock Performance for the 51st Grammy Awards in 2009. I know this is about the zillionth time I've posted the song on The Llog but IT ROCKS! Thomas is on drums.)





"Wax Simulacra" (Live on Letterman... You can see Pridgen's drum fills better and get a sense of The Mars Volta's energetic live show.)





There they are.

Man, that guy makes me wanna go play drums...

If you wanna check out Thomas Pridgen with The Mars Volta, go buy their latest two CDs, entitled The Bedlam in Goliath (in which the drumming is most energetic) and Octahedron (in which the music in general is more mellow and laid back, but still offers a great listen and awesome skill from Thomas Pridgen and the band as a whole).

Peace...

No comments: