Friday, August 22, 2008

SHAKE YOUR KULA!!!

Hey guys,
I was sitting around reading comics last night and I started thinking about Grant Morrison. Thinking about Grant Morrison led me to think about The Invisibles and thinking about the Invisibles led me to remember a charcacter in that marvelous series (was it Jack or King Mob?) talking about listening to a band called Kula Shaker...

Now even when I was reading that series, when I saw the name Kula Shaker, one of the band's singles, entitled "Tattva", rolled through my head for days...

SO...

I was looking at Kula Shaker stuff on the internet last night and I've decided to put up as close as I can get to a full videography for the band... You'll notice a big gap in the dates on the vids as the band broke up a while back, but are now back at it and even (I think) working on a new album...

This is definitely a band I'd really like to get into now. The music's cool, some of it even reminds me of earlier Radiohead (but much happier!) and it was REFERENCED IN THE INVISIBLES!!! What more could a geek like me need?!

Some notes on the tunes...

*-"Tattva" was the song that I remembered from this band and is still rolling in my head. This song (like many of the band's songs) was perfect for reference in The Invisibles. It has a kind of Brit-pop sound sprinkled with all kinds of sounds that sound like they're from some sort of mystic's prayer... The Invisibles has that Euro-British type feel to it, but is laden with all sorts of references to the occult... It's like someone should set The Invisibles to music with Kula Shaker providing the soundtrack... (The drummer's even wearing a t-shirt with Che Guevara on it in the video!!!)

*-"Govinda" may even be a better song for an imaginary soundtrack to the Invisibles...

*-Most of you will recognize the song "Hush". It's a cover of an old country song written by Joe South, but I'm sure you've heard the Deep Purple version if you've ever turned on classic rock radio for any length of time... Kula Shaker's is more like the Deep Purple rendition... And hey, did you know that the little vocal part with no lyrics (the "na na-na-na na-na-na na-na-na" part) was inspired by the Beatles tune "A Day in the Life"... Take a listen...

ANYWAY, here are the videos in chronological order...
As always, the titles of the songs are posted above the videos...
Enjoy...



Grateful When You're Dead (Feb. 1996)





Tattva (Mar. 1996)





Hey Dude (Aug. 1996)





Govinda (Nov. 1996)





Hush (Jan. 1997)





Sound of Drums (Apr. 1998)





Mystical Machine Gun (Jan. 1999)





Shower Your Love (May 1999)





Second Sight (Aug. 2007)





So there they are, guys... The video that I posted for "Govinda" is obviously NOT the official one. All the official ones are "embedding disabled by request"... If you wanna see that official video, go to YouTube and search it. There are plenty there...

Hope you enjoyed...

Acintya bheda bheda tattva...

...and peace...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kula Shaker is my fav band! I LOVE IT! You have to listen to their new album "Strangefolk".

Could you tell me the name & issue of the comic where a character talked about the band?

lloydduvalljr said...

Whoa man...

Sorry...

Guess I'm not checking my comments frequently enough... I'll try and hit you on your blog or something...

The comic where Kula Shaker was mentioned was Invisibles: Vol. 2, Issue #2... You can also pick up Volume 4 of the Invisibles trades, entitled: "Bloody Hell in America"... It's probably a lot less expensive than going out and getting or ordering the single issue...

Thanks for the interest...