Saturday, May 21, 2011

Quick Damnation

Hey gang,

Back two days in a row on the Llog! How 'bout that?!

Anyway...

If you read the very last post, you'll know that I've finished my listening of Opeth's sixth album "Deliverance". Now that I've moved on to the seventh album, "Damnation", I thought I'd throw a thing or two up about it.

Firstly, don't let the title fool you. Judging by Opeth's past albums and especially the album before it being perhaps the heaviest in the Opeth catalog, you might expect an album with a name like "Damnation" to be an all-out, face-smashing, blistering, death metal album. It's not. In fact, it's exactly the opposite.

"Deliverance" and "Damnation" were originally intended be be released as a double album, but due to record company restraints, they were released separately. "Deliverance" was to be the heavy portion of the release, with "Damnation" exploring the more mellow side of the band's work. It happened that way, but just on two separate releases.

This album is like none other so far by Opeth. The are absolutely NO death metal style vocals, and after listening once, I'm hard pressed even to remember a heavily distorted guitar. I don't really think there are any.

What we do hear has been called an exploration of the band's 1970's progressive rock interests. Whatever you'd label it, it's definitely different for the band.

To examine that a little and to show you the second music video ever spawned by the band, let's take a look at "Windowpane" below. There's a little bit of an MTV's Headbanger's Ball intro on it, but it's the only version I could find of the official video. Enjoy.



Windowpane



So there you have it.

I'll post a review and a couple of favorite tracks probably in a couple weeks when I'm ready to move on to the next album, but wanted to throw this info up for personal record and anyone who might be interested.

Be well, all...

Peace...

No comments: