Saturday, May 28, 2011

First Reveries

Hey guys,

Told ya I'd be back soon.

Keeping on with my latest obsession of the band Opeth: I spun their eighth album, 2005's "Ghost Reveries" tonight for the first time.

Kneejerk reaction: I'm fucking blown away...

Anyway... Like "Damnation", this album spawned a music video. The only single from the album was called "The Grand Conjuration". Here's the music video.

The Grand Conjuration



So, there's that. The only single from "Ghost Reveries" and quite the disturbing and spooky video to go with.

Also, I found it interesting to learn that Gene Hoglan (of Strapping Young Lad and many other projects) played drums on only this track of the album. One final note about the song is that it's actually about twice this long on the album. Ahhhh, radio singles, huh?

The only other thing I have to share with you guys about this album (at the risk of sacrificing my manhood) is that it brought me to tears at one point. From the video for "The Grand Conjuration" above, you might think that I was scared to death and crying for my mommy, but I was actually MOVED to tears.

There's a song on the album called "Hours of Wealth". I'm not gonna post it now (because it's almost certainly going to be one of my faves for the mini-review), but it's a kind of sad, almost bluesy kind of song (which goes to show you the versatility of this band) and it's absolutely beautiful.

Anyway, now that you've all discovered I'm an artsy pansy, I'll take my leave of you. Just wanted to throw those couple things out there about "Ghost Reveries".

I should be back soon. Any of you that were privy to my chronicles here on the blog of my time in London last year will hopefully be getting the same treatment for the city of New Orleans beginning in just over a week. I wanna try and get back here with maybe even some other things before that, though.

A few of you have tweeted at me and Facebooked me to let me know you're reading and I thank you wholeheartedly. It means the world. Take care and...

Peace...

No comments: