Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lamentations

Hey guys,

I made it...

If you've read the last two posts since I've started going regular again with The Llog, you've noticed that one of my current obsessions is the band Opeth.

One of the reasons I've been listening to the band nonstop (aside from absolutely loving their music) is that one of their concerts is streaming instantly on Netflix. I've been trying to listen to and get to know the first seven albums as quickly as I can so I could watch the concert, be familiar with the music and enjoy it (to make sure I got it before it might possibly stop streaming).

And tonight that's what I did.

The DVD of the concert is called Lamentations: Live at Shepherd's Bush Empire and I believe the whole of the concert is featured on Netflix. My only sadness at the whole ordeal is that none of the bonus footage of the DVD is streaming on Netflix. Included in that is a "making of" feature for the "Deliverance" and "Damnation" albums that I'd really like to see.

The band played the concert in two sets. The first set was the mellow side of the show and included the whole "Damnation" album, as well as a couple of extras.

Why don't we take a look at one of the songs that's become a favorite from the album as I've been listening. Enjoy "In My Time of Need" below.



In My Time of Need



The second half of the show (after a brief intermission) was definitely the heavy side, including tracks from "Deliverance" and "Blackwater Park". It featured tracks from these albums somewhat more typical of the band's sound (ten minutes plus in length, varying heavyness, epic). Here's an example of one of those tracks, one of my favorites from "Blackwater Park". Enjoy "The Leper Affinity".



The Leper Affinity



Man... I love this whole song, but that part with the clean vocals starting at 5:08 really gets me. Nice...

Anyway, guys... There's another post on Opeth. Wanted to share a bit about that performance after enjoying it and really all of the music of this band so much. Comment or drop me a line on the listed social media to rap about any of these things.

Be well, guys.

Peace...

No comments: