Saturday, August 22, 2009

Comic of the Week - August 12th, 2009

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE ISSUES AND TITLES LISTED BELOW

Hey guys,

After my own little mini mental celebration of my 75th post on The Llog in which I discuss the film "Inglourious Basterds" (see below), I figured I'd better get the Comic of the Week feature that I owe you guys up.

The comics that I read released on the day of August 12th, 2009 were:

-Action Comics #880
-Adventure Comics #1
-Amazing Spider-Man #602
-Blackest Night #2
-Green Lantern Corps #39
-Uncanny X-Men #514
-The Walking Dead #64
-X-Men Forever #5



Story of the Week

This week had a few contenders for Story of the Week. We saw the release of Adventure Comics #1 spotlight the adventures of Superboy and backing that up with a feature of The Legion of Super-Heroes. The Walking Dead stunned, as it always does (Man, I can't wait for the show on AMC). But my favorite story upon first reading all these issues was X-Men Forever #5.

As if a scrap with Sabretooth, Storm killing Wolverine, and a child version of Storm showing up weren't enough in previous issues, this issue has the aftermath of all that plus an interesting new plotline that I just thought was genius.

Professor Xavier imparts that our mutant heroes (and villains, for that matter) aren't the next stage of evolution that they thought they were. They, in fact, may be the opposite. It appears that the more power that our mutants expend, the less that there is to sustain their lives. This is revealed in a discussion by the Beast, the Professor, and the rest of the X-Men in which they speak about how there aren't very many mutants who are over the age of 60. I think it's a great plot point and it'll be interesting to see how it's dealt with in future issues.

As I've said before, the premise of this comic is basically the stories of Chris Claremont had he stayed on the title X-Men in the early nineties. I'm lovin' it so far. See my prior Comic of the Week posts and run out and grab the issues, if you're so inclined.



Cover Art of the Week

Cover Art of the Week has got to go to Blackest Night #2. Check out the amazing piece below by Ivan Reis, Oclair Albert, and Alex Sinclair (DC Comics).





Interior Art of the Week

Again, the art award for interior art has got to go to Blackest Night #2. The art on this issue was just spectacular. Again, it's by Ivan Reis, Oclair Albert (this time with a little help from Julio Ferreira), and Alex Sinclair (DC Comics). (See below)







Well, there's another post and another expression of my opinion for Comic of the Week. Comments? Questions? Discussion? Hit me on here or contact me through any of the social networking sites listed on the right of the page... As always, feel free to hit me up for discussion about anything posted on The Llog.

Take care of each other, guys...

Peace...

No comments: