Sunday, September 21, 2008

Open Water

Hey guys,
Think you could spend only $130,000 and make a great film?

Someone did. It's called Open Water.

This film follows the mishaps of a young unmarried couple who are left behind after going out on a diving trip. After they are left, most of the shots are just of the two divers floating in the water... Sounds boring, right?

WRONG!

This is one of the most visceral films I've seen in a while. The shock factor had me clutching the sides of my head and actually saying, "Oh, NO!" in some parts... This matches the sense of panic that I felt while watching some of my favorite films like Saw or Requiem for a Dream...

So, needless to say, I've found this film to be a gem... With the low budget used to make it, the acting jobs of the cast, the mystery surrounding the true life couple that it's based on, and just the sense of panic that the whole film assaults you with, this is a film that I can tell is just going to stick with me...

Thanks to my brother for pointing me in the right direction on this one...

To sum up, GO CHECK OUT OPEN WATER!!! I've found it to be excellent...

'Til next time... Peace...

6 comments:

ADD said...

Ya' know, I knew you would like this one. I've been hearing how terrible this film was, from everyone else that I've encountered, who had seen it. And I just knew that if anyone would back me up on it, that you'd be the one to really enjoy this film for what it was. Glad you liked it.

lloydduvalljr said...

Hey bro,

Glad you pointed me in the right direction... I really DID like it... Have you been to my Aficianado to see what else I've watched?

ADD said...

Yes, I have been checking your afficionado everytime I sit down to the computer. I can't wait to talk to you on Wednesday so we can disuss the movies you've watched. So glad you liked Crimes and Misdemeanors!

lloydduvalljr said...

Hey Andy,

Yeah... A good flick... Thanks again for the list...

Ruth said...

Ok now I hear from both of you how great this movie is I guess I definately need to check it out again!

lloydduvalljr said...

Open Water definitely gets a vote from me... Any movie made for $130,000 and can nearly drive me to insanity worrying about the characters in the span of 81 minutes is a gem in my book...