Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"Waiting and fading and floating away..."

Hey guys,

The night before I left for London, I decided I needed to make a late night run to Wal-Mart to grab some last minute supplies for the trip. Clicking on the radio, I heard a snippet of a song that sounded really cool. I really wanted to find out what it was but didn't get the chance to before I left the car.

Sitting down in the Hard Rock Cafe in London, the video for the same song came on the TV shortly after we sat to eat. Again, I wasn't able to catch who it was, but I took this (like I do) as a sign.

After coming back and doing a little research, I discovered that the song was called "Panic Switch" and that it was by a band called Silversun Pickups.

When I heard the song, I latched onto it because, though being a song in the rock vein, it had almost a trancy electronica sound to it. It sounded like it was from the post-post-grunge era if ever such a genre was to exist.

Doing a bit more research on the band, I found they'd been compared to such acts as Smashing Pumpkins and that they listed some grunge era bands as influences.

I got on iTunes and downloaded the album "Swoon" which contains the song "Panic Switch". I've listened to it all now and I've gotta say, it's the first album that's really blown me away on first listen in a long, long time.

Here are the videos for the singles thus far off of "Swoon" in the order they were released, with the titles ABOVE the songs.

Panic Switch





Substitution





The Royal We





And now here's an interview where a couple members of the band talk a bit about the new record and tell some funny stories. The end of this interview cracks me up! ("And Ernie comes in, what a dick..." Hilarious! Watch for it...)





So that's my bit about the band Silversun Pickups and my blog entry for the day, guys. Hope you enjoyed the music and info.

Peace...

No comments: